A Special Friend
by Marian Woodhead
Sometimes I'm happy and sometimes sad.
Sometimes I'm scared and sometimes I'm mad.
When I need a friend to listen, someone to understand
a place to go and talk a bit, the counselor can lend a hand.
We might read a story or play a game, watch a film, or just chat about why I came.
When I need help it's nice to know that the counselor's office is the place to go.
- What Does a Middle School Counselor Do?
- How Does a Student See the Counselor?
- Why Does a Student See a Counselor?
- Helps students develop a positive attitude toward school and learning
- Helps students develop good relationships with peers, parents, teachers, and siblings
- Helps students improve their communication skills and develop effective decision-making strategies
- Helps students deal with personal concerns, developmental tasks, crisis, school related problems, home concerns, health, and physical development
- Helps to ease the transition between school settings
- Plans and implements with teachers a program of activities designed to enhance the personal and social/emotional development of elementary students